UPS, Help me understand

Gary Freitag gfreitag at GREATBATCH.COM
Tue Aug 5 13:13:01 MDT 1997

jp writes:

>pardon me, but this reasoning seems to be void of any.  in order to
>apply
>your logic, you must first establish the NEED for a union.  once you can
>make that establishment, THEN you can argue for whatever structuring or
>implementation you desire.  WITHOUT such an establishment, all your
>arguments are in vain, & can be easily dismissed from the mere LACK
>thereof.

I don't have to establish need, the market should determine that.  If
there is indeed no need (better phrased as benefit), unions should dry
up.  But under current law, they will never dry up because they are
given power by law.  They don't have to establish need.  I am
suggesting a system that imposes "need" as a condition for their
survival.

Do not limit your view of a union based on the current model
established and defined in the US.  Unions are not the only structure
that labor can be marketed under.  There are other organizations that
handle labor, such as employment agencies, contract agencies, agents,
professional societies.  Who knows what varied forms of representation
may exist?

>the simple fact of the matter is that if there was any genuine need for
>unions today, the unions would simply be able to make their presence
>known
>& people would flock TO them.  but instead, they resort to thuggery
>tactics, which displays to me that even THEY know they serve no
>legitimate
>purpose - outside of their own self-serving interests.

Do not confuse "need" with "ease".  If one could simply fill out a
form, send in your dues and belong to a labor union, more people may
belong to one.  However, I have no legal right to belong to a union
unless every other employee I work with also has the desire to join the
same union.  It is an difficult, complicated process, no doubt limiting
the number of people belonging to unions.

Even if there were no reason for having unions today, who is to say
that the pendulum of power over labor will not shift in the future?  A
company attempts to pay as little as necessary for my services.  I
attempt to get as much as I can for them.  It is either by market or by
law that keeps either side from taking advantage of the other; a battle
of special interests that is played out on many fronts.

gary
gfreitag at greatbatch.com