Organized Crim

John Bush jbush at POST.CIS.SMU.EDU
Thu Aug 14 04:15:37 MDT 1997

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Richard Swerdlin wrote:

> > From: PapaPaul <febboy at IX.NETCOM.COM>
> > To: RUSHTALK at athena.csdco.com
> > Subject: Re: Organized Crim
> > Date: Wednesday, August 13, 1997 03:48
> >
> > At 03:01 AM 8/13/97 -0500, Richard Whitenight wrote:
> > >More and more I believe that the true organized crime in this nation of
> our's
> > >is not the mafia, although they are a big factor in crime, but the real
> > >organized crime effort in this county are the unions.  UPS is being held
> > >hostage by the Teamsters.  The AFL-CIO is now kissing ass by providing
> the
> > >Teamsters with a loan to help pay for the striking UPS workers.  I don't
> > think
> > >President Clinton should intervene...let the strikers stay on strike and
> lose
> > >there jobs...that's as American as apple pie and Chevrolet.
> > >
> > You may get your wish.  Bubba Bill owes a lot to the Unions for his
> > re-election, and may want to let them have their way with the nation.
> >
> > Regards, PapaPaul
> REPLY
> RW & PP:
>
>         The statements concerning crime are overstatements.  Contrary to
> the basic anti-labor position taken, labor unions serve their purpose.
Today, what would they be?  The goverment provides everything labor
unions were formed to provide (unless you mean everyone getting paid
based on seniority, not output.)

> Interestingly, physicians promote their own cause through various
> "associations".  Something comparable occurs with many other occupational
> groups.
Yes, but suppliers are not allowed to join in collusion to fix
product prices.  Why are employees allowed to fix their prices?  This
isn't to say that they shouldn't be able to promote their own cause.
But what the labor unions are doing is promoting "their" cause, not
the union members.

>         It is now August, so that the November election results should
> finally be digested and assimilated.  One candidate did receive more votes
> than his opponent.
Huh?