Crime, Unions, etc.

J. Prescott jprescot at PRIMENET.COM
Mon Aug 18 21:25:52 MDT 1997

this is too juicy for me to pass on - i must add my .02 worth.

on the face of many of the points you raise in trying to justify the
existence of unions (you try to assauge the negatives by including
ässotions into the equation), i must say that i am inclined to agree with
you.  NOBODY like to see an injustice, & these scenarios you outline, like
so many others, could be better served handled on some other front.  do i
propose that i know HOW each of them should be handled?  no.  i just simply
believe that in order for a problem to be best solved, BOTH sides must
benefit equally.  otherwise, all that has been accomplished is one problem
may have been excused for the sake of creating another one.

it is to this end that i conclude that unions serve no real useful purpose
except to their own ends.  over the course of MY lifetime (i am 40) i do
not recall ANY strike called that ever served any purpose outside its own.
and by its very nature, rightly so.  by that i mean, the union's existence
is only propulgated by serving its own interest.  and if you can understand
that, therein lies the crux of the problem.  the union is its own master &
cannot consider the interests of the People it serves ahead of its own,
much less the concerns of the companies for which the people work.  but,
for this matter of sustainment, they had to formulate a rhetoric that would
abide with resonance with those that would serve to army its cause.  they
had to look no further than the natural conflict that exists between the
working force & the owners.

the analogy may be simplistic, but i think it is very appropriate.  in the
beehive, it is the drones or worker bees that do all of the work, while the
queen does virtually nothing but to enjoy the benefits of all these drones.
 but without the queen bee, the hive dies & ceases to exist.  i don't
subscribe to the theory that the workers shouldn't be duly compensated;
they should receive a worthy recompense for their efforts.  we can read
this in the bible where God said a workman is worthy of his hire.  however,
ultimately, it HAS to be in the best interest of the owner / investors, or
the business can no longer function in its designed capacity.  and it is in
this ultimate role that the people of any company are best served.

jp

http://lonehart.com/danny/jp33750.htm
http://www.thepeoplesnetwork.com

                                G O   M I A M I    D O L P H I N S