Crime, Unions, etc.

John Bush jbush at POST.CIS.SMU.EDU
Tue Aug 19 10:31:06 MDT 1997

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Richard Swerdlin wrote:

>         The above also applies to various white-collar situations.  The
> Ohio Education Association did well to investigate problems in that state.
> It was interesting how the Cincinnati ISD thought elementary women teachers
> should leave after a given month of pregnancy.  Apparently the sight of a
> bulging belly would have been too much for pupils to take.  The OEA thought
> differently.  Let the teacher make the decision to resign.  The same school
> district tried to discourage handicapped teachers from working.  In one
> case it was a matter of a teacher minus a few fingers.  In court contests
> the disrict was unable to show that pupils would be shortchanged by less
> than "normal" physical conditions.

Bull.  The courts would have ruled that way regardless of the union
status of the teacher.  And that was my original point.  As another
message stated, the only thing unions are concerned with is there own
survival.  They don't care what they were created for--anything that
might allow them to survive, is what they will do.  They moved in
direct opposition to union members desires with regards to the
anti-republican campaign last year--but they needed Clinton in the
Whitehouse more than they needed to support their members.