Getting Along

Richard Whitenight richard.whitenight at CHRYSALIS.ORG
Mon Aug 25 02:29:14 MDT 1997

For everyone to ponder on...

Dear Ann Landers:  My sister, who was 99 years of age, died
recently, and I found this column of yours among her
treasures.  Up to the very end, her mind was as good as or
better than mine is right now.  I hope you will run this
column again.  The date on my sister's copy was January 13,
1977.
    Please don't print my name.  Just say I'm -- Somewhere
Canada

     Dear Somewhere:  Here it is.  Thanks for asking.

                      The Ten Commandments
                       of How to Get Along
                           With People

1.  Keep skid chains on your tongue; always say less than you
think.  Cultivate a low, pursuasive voice.  How you say it
often counts more than what you say.

2.  Make promises sparingly, and keep them faithfully, no
matter what it costs.

3.  Never let an opportunity pass to say a kind and
encouraging word to or about someone.  Praise good work,
regardless of who did it.  If criticism is needed, criticise
helpfully, never spitefully.

4.  Be interested in others, their pursuits, their work, their
homes and families.  Make merry with those who rejoice; with
those who weep, mourn.  Let everyone you meet, however humble,
feel that you regard them as a person of importance.

5.  Be cheerful.  Don't burden or depress those around you by
dwelling on your minor aches and pains and small
disappointments.  Remember, everyone is carrying some kind of
a load.

6.  Keep an open mind.  Discuss, but don't argue.  It's a mark
of a superior mind to be able to disagree without being
disagreeable.

7.  Let your virtues, if you have any, speak for themselves.
Refuse to speak of another's vices.  Discourage gossip.  It is
a waste of valuable time and can be extremely destructive.

8.  Be careful of another's feelings.  Wit and humor at the
other person's expense are rarely worth it, and may hurt when
least expected.

9.  Pay no attention to illnatured remarks about you.
Remember, the person who carried the message may not be the
most accurate reporter in the world.  Simply live so that no
one will believe them.  Disordered nerves and bad digestion
are a common cause of back-biting.

10.  Don't be too anxious about the credit due you.  Do your
best, and be patient.  Forget about yourself, and let others
"remember".