Thanks Dan and Steve

Mon Aug 25 07:29:22 MDT 1997

"THE COMMITTEE OF ONE"
"One must fight, if only to have fought
  according to one's conscience"

INDIANAPOLIS, Aug. 22—Just hours after House
Speaker Newt Gingrich (Ga.) attempted to
reassure nervous Republicans that GOP leaders
remain committed to the conservative agenda,
former vice president Dan Quayle accused the
party hierarchy in Washington of turning its
back on fundamental conservative values.

In a stinging rebuke delivered after Gingrich's
more upbeat assessment, Quayle suggested the
Republican congressional leadership sold out to
President Clinton in the recently enacted
agreement to trim taxes and balance the budget
by 2002. The deal, touted by both Republicans
and Clinton as a monument to bi-partisanship,
was not worth all the hoopla it received,
Quayle said.

    "I know when you have divided government from
time to time you have to compromise," Quayle
said. "But you don't make compromise your top
priority. There's a time to compromise and
there's a time to stand firm. Now I know that
it was a grand photo opportunity at the White
House, but I'm afraid that the taxpayer once
again got the shaft."

     Quayle scornfully suggested that the GOP's
"Contract With America" has become "the
contract with Clinton."

    In another speech, Steve Forbes called Newt’s
budget deal an “abomination.”
     Dan and Steve performed a necessary reality
check for the GOP in  “melting” Newt’s  “traveling
budget snow job.”

K. E. Wyman