Media Bias - Surprise

John Bush jbush at POST.CIS.SMU.EDU
Mon Aug 25 08:26:24 MDT 1997

On Sun, 24 Aug 1997, Stephen A. Frye wrote:

> >Guns saving lives: ~2.500M/yr., increasing annually
> >Guns taking lives: ~0.280M/yr., decreasing annually
> >

> How does a gun save a life?  If this were true, then everybody should own
> one.  Maybe I have led a far too sheltered life - I don;t know anyone who
> has ever been saved by a gun.  I know many who have been killed.

If an armed criminal comes into my home and I shoot and kill said
criminal, has my life been saved?  Maybe.  It depends on whether or
not the burglar would have killed me and my family.  If so, three
lives were saved...and one criminal died.  If I only injure the
criminal, than three lives were saved and a criminal was injured.
If I brandish my weapon (a hypothetical weapon at that...as I own
none) and the criminal flees, I have saved three lives, and no one
was harmed or killed.

Of course, you can always argue that we wouldn't have been killed
anyway.  And you may be right.  Then again, you may be wrong.  The
fact remains, a crime was stopped through lawful action on my part,
and that is good enough for me.

On the other hand, you probably have no problem believing Handgun
Control Inc's statements about crimes being prevented by the Brady
Bill.  But in those instances, the statistics reported only involve
gun sales that were prevented.  The law abiding citizens prevented
from purchasing a gun weren't going to use them in a crime anyway.
The criminals probably found an illegal source for their weapon.
Hence, the Brady Bill prevents nearly no crime.  On the other hand,
those law abiding citizens that are not allowed to purchase a gun may
have a crime perpetrated on them and they are unable to protect
themselves, so it is arguable that crime has increased do to the
Brady Bill.

The fact is, we are supposed to be a country ruled by law...and the
constitution is the supreme law of the land.  Good intentions are not
an excuse to violate this law--and yet, that is what we tolerate
today.