Media Bias - Surprise

Tue Aug 26 09:22:24 MDT 1997

>to what do you credit your opinion?  the 2nd amendment in its raw form only
>specifies the actual granting of the right to bear arms.  what that
>document does NOT do is give any underlying thought as to WHY our
>forefathers found it so imperative as to make it the SECOND amendment.
>
>though not the end all for this topic, the Federalist Papers are generally
>among the First resources to be consulted when trying to discern our
>founders' frame of reference.  i cannot direct you to the specific essays,
>as it has been years since reading them; however, it is my recollection
>that it was clearly stated that among the arguments FOR the right to bear
>arms was protection against tyranny.  in looking at governments THROUGHOUT
>history, they concluded that government, by its very nature tended toward
>tyranny as long as it existed without the threat of "revolt" from those it
>governed.

Absolutely.  I have stated all along that I am not in favor of gun-control
- I guess that point was lost.

You are totally right - the amendment does NOT give any underlying thought
as to why ...  That is subject to supposition.  We can also suppose that
there was no underlying why - that simply we should be free to have arms -
or an armed militia.

What I object to is the senseless killing, the senseless injuring.  I am
tired of hearing about children killed or injured because of irresponsible
ownership. I NEVER said that these people should not be allowed to own guns
- though I guess that point was lost also.

Though not specifically with your post or reply, it angers me that as soon
as questions are asked regarding Conservative beliefs, the almost instant
reaction is that the one asking the question must - by definition of the
fact that he or she is asking - disagree 100%.

That is so silly.  And so very entertaining.  It makes me wonder if
conservatives desire blind acceptance, or if they would prefer to have
people who think and question.

Sure this is beyond the scope of media bias and gun control - but, to me,
it speaks to the basis for our root beliefs.  I refuse to be led by the
nose by any group, and I refuse to blindly accept anyone else's opinions
without carefully examining as many positions on the issue that I can find.
 That examination - more often than not - tends to cause many knee-jerk
reactions - much more so among the conservatives than among the liberals.
That, in itself, makes me question the validity of the claims I choose to
examine more closely.

Stephen Frye