Hmmm, Deja Vu

Rob H. robh at HPDC.COM
Tue Dec 9 17:09:45 MST 1997

Hello,

I normally do not get too involved with the discussions on this group but
thought I would share a little story that isn't quite so fictitious when
you are looking at the way things are today.  Yes, it did come from a humor
list but I would consider it more of a dramatic document.  Read it for
yourself to see just how true-to-life it is.  Whatever happened to the
motto "earn your way through life" I will never know!  ???

Enjoy,

Rob

Ari's Humor List wrote:

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long
building his house and laying up supplies for the winter. The
grasshopper thinks he's a fool and laughs and dances and plays
the summer away. Come winter the ant is warm and well fed.
The grasshopper has no food or shelter so he  dies out in the cold.

  Modern American Version:

Come winter, the shivering grasshopper calls a press
conference and demands to know why the ant should be allowed
to be warm and well fed while  others are cold and starving.
CBS, NBC, and ABC show up and provide pictures of the
shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his
comfortable home with a table filled with food. America is
stunned by the sharp contrast. How can it be that, in a country
of such wealth, this poor  grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?

Then a representative of the NAAGB (The national association of
green  bugs) shows up on Nightline and charges the ant with "green
bias" and makes the case that the grasshopper is the victim of 30
million years of greenism. Kermit the Frog appears on Oprah with
the grasshopper, and everybody cries  when he sings, "It's not easy
being green."

Bill and Hillary Clinton make a special guest appearance on the CBS
Evening News to tell a concerned Dan Rather that they will do
everything  they can for the grasshopper who has been denied the
prosperity he deserves by those who benefited unfairly during the
Reagan summers, or as Bill refers  to it,   the "Temperatures of the
80's."

Richard Gephardt exclaims in an interview with Peter Jennings that
the ant has gotten rich off the back of the grasshopper and calls for
an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his fair share.
Finally, the EECO drafts the "Economic Equity and Anti-Greenism
Act," retroactive to the beginning of the summer.

The ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of green
bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home
is confiscated by the government. Hillary gets her old law firm to
represent the grasshopper in a defamation suit against the ant, and
the case is  tried before a panel of federal judges that hear cases on
Thursday's between 1:30 and 3pm when there are no talk shows
scheduled. The ant loses the case.

The story ends as we see the grasshopper finishing up the last bits
of the ant's food while the government house he's in, which just
happens to be the ant's old home, crumbles around him since he
doesn't know how to maintain  it.

The ant has disappeared in the snow.

And on the TV, which the grasshopper bought by selling most of the
ant's   food, they're showing Bill Clinton standing before a wildly
applauding   group of Democrats announcing that a new era of
"fairness" has dawned in  America.