The women are always right.

Tue Dec 9 21:58:56 MST 1997

>Perhaps it is the WAY you question. I read your posts and do not see an
>informational query as you claim but mostly baiting and implied
>disagreement. You claim that is not your intent, however it seems that I am
>not the only one on this list that 'misinterprets' your queries. That being
>the case doesn't it make sense to rephrase your questions to remove the
>possibility of some of us unwashed from seeing baiting and implied
>diagreements?
>
>Flame suit on!

No need for the suit.

I don't bait (at least not deliberately).  I don't believe in it.  I do,
though, disagree.  I do believe in that.

Maybe I can give you a long case in point - remember all the debate over
the death penalty.  I questioned every person in this group who expressed
favor for the death penalty.  Why?  Not because I disagreed - but because I
wanted to know the reasons and basis for people's belief.  And I questioned
every one of them - because I questioned the same things in myself.  Why?
because I served on the penalty phase of a murder case where the
prosecution was requesting the death penalty.  I was the foreman for that
jury.  My signature went on the verdict form.  My name was read in court
when the sentence was pronounced.

The debate took place long after that trial, but I always wondered if I
made the right decision in that case.  I wanted to see why people believed
what they did.  Either position.  Maybe it would help clarify my own beliefs.

It didn't.

Assuming I told the truth on the 50 page questionnaire, and assuming I
answered all of the jury selection questions honestly - all of which I did,
then I must have at least been "not categorically opposed" to the death
penalty to be even seated on the jury.

It was probably the single most difficult decision I have ever made in my
life.  I had to sign my name to an order that decided whether another man
lived or died.  I still live with that decision, and I was truly curious
how others believed, and why.

I am NOT re-opening that debate.  this was simply an example.  And yes, I
questioned vigorously.  That still didn;t imply disagreement.

Stephen Frye