Favorite Quotes?

Jim Nantz jim at COTTAGESOFT.COM
Thu Dec 11 05:42:42 MST 1997

At 02:18 AM 12/11/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Got any favorite quotes? (I'm collecting them.)
>
>One of my favorites is from Lao Tzu's Book of Tao:
>"Raise taxes and create a nation of thieves."

He couldn't be more right.  Look at the lengths people will go to in order
to avoid paying the outrageous taxes levied on us today. I can give you an
example.  I know a man who works at a place where someone played with the
books and stole $300,000 from the company.  It was found out and the woman
who did all the bookeeping was accused of the theft.  The owner of the
company let her resign and never filed any charges.  This spawned rumors
among the employees that the owner actually took the money himself and the
whole thing was a dodge to avoid paying taxes on the money.  Of course this
was only a rumor, but it would fit in with one of America's favorite
sports: getting one past the I.R.S.

>Also caught a New Zealand Libertarian using this one,
>which I love:
>
>"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
>[Corruptissima republica plurimae leges.] -- Tacitus

Look at our own congress.

"If no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has
the capacity to govern someone else?" - Ronald Reagan from a speach he made
at the 1964 Republican convention.
--

Today a Phoenix man was charged with aggravated assault when he allegedly
smacked a colleague with a 10,000 page unix manual.  Attorney General Grant