(no subject)

William B. White WHITEWB at JCCW22.CC.SUNYJCC.EDU
Thu Dec 11 11:14:24 MST 1997

From:   NAME: Bill White
        FUNC: HUMANITIES
        TEL: 326/371                          <WHITE, BILL AT A1 AT JCCV03>
To:     IN%"rushtalk at athena.csdco.com"@MRGATE at JCCW22

John,

        I agree with the advice you have given Ma.  I applaud his attempts to
carry on a dialogue in English, but for my part, I have found it difficult to
understand what he is saying most of the time.  To compound the problem, he
does send forth some sentence strings that are quite clear and well written.
Then he lapses into incoherence.  This pattern has led me to wonder about his
identity and his intention.  One attitude that is consistent is his tone of
defensiveness.

        Overall, he adds to the texture of the list and I am glad you are
being gracious to him.  When I was in China, our group was treated graciously
for the most part, though we were constantly watched and "directed."  No doubt
our hosts were protecting us.  One of our group had about $100 equivalent
stolen from him in a hotel gift shop.  Our host immediately replaced the money
with great apologies.  My chinese collegue told me it is impossible for
non-Chinese to understand China.  Still we try.

Bill White