(no subject)

John B Hammes economic at NETINS.NET
Fri Dec 12 20:32:50 MST 1997

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, William B. White wrote:

:-)From:   NAME: Bill White
:-)        FUNC: HUMANITIES
:-)        TEL: 326/371                          <WHITE, BILL AT A1 AT JCCV03>
:-)To:     IN%"rushtalk at athena.csdco.com"@MRGATE at JCCW22
:-)
:-)
:-)John,
:-)
:-)        I agree with the advice you have given Ma.  I applaud his attempts to
:-)carry on a dialogue in English, but for my part, I have found it difficult to
:-)understand what he is saying most of the time.  To compound the problem, he
:-)does send forth some sentence strings that are quite clear and well written.
:-)Then he lapses into incoherence.  This pattern has led me to wonder about his
:-)identity and his intention.  One attitude that is consistent is his tone of
:-)defensiveness.

This tone seems to be one of constant discomfort, too, but I wonder if
its just coming thru that way in the translation or if he really feels
that discomfort.  Guess we'll never know for sure, but it is
interesting; some of the defenses Ma has come up with...if I'm not
reading them wrong, that is.

:-)
:-)        Overall, he adds to the texture of the list and I am glad you are
:-)being gracious to him.  When I was in China, our group was treated graciously
:-)for the most part, though we were constantly watched and "directed."  No doubt
:-)our hosts were protecting us.  One of our group had about $100 equivalent
:-)stolen from him in a hotel gift shop.  Our host immediately replaced the money
:-)with great apologies.  My chinese collegue told me it is impossible for
:-)non-Chinese to understand China.  Still we try.
:-)
:-)Bill White
:-)

And I appreciate your commendation for that, Bill. :)  I thought it'd
be interesting to have someone other than a "westerner" involved.
Anyone else feel that way?

John

   "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."

   "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age 18.

   "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

   "I never think of the future. It comes soon enough."

   "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that
   can be counted counts."

....Albert Einstein