smokers

John B Hammes economic at NETINS.NET
Wed Dec 31 20:28:03 MST 1997

On Wed, 31 Dec 1997, Jim Nantz wrote:

:-)The last few days there's been a lot of attention given in the media to the
:-)new law banning smoking in bars that takes effect in California on January
:-)1.  I do have to admit to mixed feelings about this.  One one hand I don't
:-)like the government telling the owner of a bar that he/she can't allow
:-)smoking in his establishment.  It should be up to the owner of the bar
:-)whether or not to allow smoking.  If the employees don't like smoking they
:-)always have the option to quit.
:-)
:-)On the other hand I've been around rude smokers who don't care whether or
:-)not their smoking bothers anyone else and I have a hard time feeling sorry
:-)for them.  Also what about the people who work around the smokers but can't
:-)afford to quit their jobs?
:-)
:-)Just a thought
:-)--
:-)
:-)Plutonium - fat free, no cholesterol, zero calories
:-)

I suppose I'm one of those people who "don't care" (or in my case,
don't get many complaints because I'm conscious about where I blow my
smoke), but when I do get a complaint either in their private home or
in someone's car, I either put it out or go outside.  It's my
choice..that's what I do.  But if I were in a public place that
allowed smoking, I'd (and have done so once) let them know politely
that it IS a public place, and they don't have to be so close to me if
my smoke bothers them.  They can go out for a breath of fresh air, or
move to the other side of the room, or go home, or whatever they feel
they should do.  I have no control over their leaving the
establishment...if they want to go, they should...I'm behind them
100%.  I'm a firm believer in the individual right to do what they
want to do.

John Hammes

  "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."

   "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

   "I never think of the future. It comes soon enough."

   "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that
   can be counted counts."

....Albert Einstein