Justice in Denver

Mike Wangsmo wanger at REDHAT.COM
Wed Jun 4 01:47:46 MDT 1997

> Timothy McVeigh Found Guilty on All 11 Counts
> It may have taken more than 26 months, but the first phase of just for
> the 168 men, women and children who died in the April 19, 1995 bombing of
> the Alfred P Murrer Building in Oklahoma City, OK is finally over.  Now
> it's time for the Sentencing or Penalty phase of this trial.  I'm sure
> that for survivors of the Oklahoma City bombing, this may help in
> closure, but will never totally close the wounds in their souls.
>
> Question:  Would the death penalty be sufficient punishment for Tim
> McVeigh, or can you provide an alternative form of punishment which meets
> the crime?

I think the only fit punishment for this crime is death, however, the
government could make a statement about being tough on crime with this case.
If the appeals process in this case is run in the same fashion as  a
military court martial decision, and the execution is swift,
without massive media glorification, I think a strong statement could be made.

His appeal process should be limited to a direct review by the supreme court
for judicial  correctness and then an execution at an unannounced time and
location away from the prying eyes of the public and media would be fitting.
If this guy gets massive media attention, it will simply glorify (in a sick
sense) his actions.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Mike
Mike Wangsmo, QA Engineer