Re Fusion

Thu Jun 5 08:49:25 MDT 1997

>In short, the fuel for conventional light-water reactors in the US is
>natural Uranium enriched to 7% U235. You can't make a bomb from this.
>Breeder reactor produce P239 which is easily extractable and can be
>made into a bomb.

I'm glad you brought this to light.  Back in the late 60's or early 70's
(memory fails) I was taking a class in Human Ecology.  I HATED the
instructor.  Anyway, one of the things he was predicting (and illustrating
on the board) was the potential for a string of nuclear power plants along
the West Coast.  Then, if any one of those ran away and *exploded* i.e.
Atomic Bomb, it would set off the rest, thus eliminating the West Coast.
We were in Michigan at the time.  He would then form the question - do we
want such atomic bombs in our own back yards in Michigan.  Granted, nuclear
power plants run their own hazardous risks, but atomic explosion is not one
of them.  Even then I knew there was a significant difference between
reactor and weapons' grade fuel, but I was far to scared to say anything in
class.  This man graded on agreeing with his opinions.  He had a PHD in
Biology, and a PHD in Chemistry.  There is no doubt in my mind he knew the
difference.

Stephen Frye