No subject

Carole Bower cbnron at ADAMS.NET
Thu Jun 5 15:02:38 MDT 1997

At 10:18 AM 6/5/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>Such a question is only important if one asserts adultery to be the
>>only charge Kelly Flinn brought upon herself.
>
>No.  Adultery is either wrong or it isn't.  Her adulterous conduct is the
>alleged root of all charges brought against her.  If adultery is wrong, it
>is wrong.  If it is not wrong, then the orders for her to stop were
>invalid.  How could one be ordered to stop doing something that is not in
>violation of anything?

The adultery was with an enlisted personnel's husband - that was the root
of the orders for her to stop - not that she was simply commiting adultery
(which technically she was not as she wasn't married.  The adulterer was
the man, who has gone unscathed in every way).

>People in this group claimed that adultery is one of the most despicable
>acts an individual can commit.  Do we hold to that or not?

Simply is not the business of an employer.  Unles it interfers with work.
Or the employer has a problem with it (but i have a feeling that the NLRB
would be right there for the employee should that happen anyplace other
than the military).  In this case, the employer is the Govt.  The Govt. has
no business in someone's off-time behavior unles it compromises that person
in some way.  Also, the Govt is way to big to interfer with eash of it's
employees sexual life.

>I find it fascinating that, all of a sudden, adultery isn't so bad.

It's just as bad - it's not not illegal.

>Let me get this straight in my mind - is adultery OK as long as one is not
>directly told to not do it?  Is something not in violation of the UCMJ as
>long as one is not directly told to not do it?

Directly told and directly ordered are very different things in the
military.  And the military is what we are talking about here.  We are not
sitting in church talking to our God on the issue as to whether adultery is
legal or not in the military - God (and I) would disapprove of a lot of
things military.

carole