Is There Hope?

John B Hammes economic at NETINS.NET
Fri Jun 6 21:10:15 MDT 1997

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Richard Swerdlin wrote:

:-)CW:
:-)
:-)        As you say, "confiscatory" is relative or ambiguous.  I am not
:-)trying to promote further apoplectic possibilities, but the information
:-)volunteered above does not seem to merit the adjective "confiscatory".
:-)
:-)Moderately,
:-)Richard Swerdlin
:-)(swerdlin at gte.net)

        I must disagree (conservative that I am)!  The rate of
taxation in the US today is something I think the founding fathers
would have called unjust, at least.  And its not just the guy making
65 grand a year. I've worked with factory laborers, liberal and Union
member alike, who when they had non-compulsory overtime allowed in
their Union contract, refused to work it because they complained
"Uncle Sam'l take more taxes outa my pay...forget that!".  Even though
this is a misguided belief, the idea of the government taking more and
more wreaks of confiscation.

        Just an idea, but the all volunteer military in the US does a
great job.  I do wonder what kind of revenue volunteer taxation would
turn out. I had a third cousin who gave 25% of everything he made to
the Church (he was Catholic)...he died worth well into the
multi-millions of $s.  He always gave it because he believed in it.
Granted, it ain't the same thing, but I still wonder.  They said the
"talking movies" wouldn't amount to anything either..."just a fad"
they said.

Unswerving and possibly naively,
John Hammes

    ____           .  _    .
   /# /_\_         |\_|/__/|
  |  |/o\o\       / / \/ \  \
  |  \\_/_/      /__|O||O|__ \
 / |_   |       |/_ \_/\_/ _\ |
|  ||\_ ~|      | | (____) | ||
|  ||| \/       \/\___/\__/  //
|  |||_         (_/         ||
 \//  |          |          ||
    (___)_)

     Rodney Dangerfield's joke of the day:

     Before I got married, my wife told me, "Don't talk about sex until
     we get married." We got married and she told me, "Now you can talk
     about it all you want."