Human Rights Violated in China? How?

John B Hammes economic at NETINS.NET
Mon Jun 9 22:38:08 MDT 1997

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Richard Swerdlin wrote:

:-)> From: John B Hammes <economic at NETINS.NET>

:-)> Zhou:
:-)>
:-)>         I was reading the China News Digest this morning (enclosed),
:-)> and found a shocking article.  I know you said that China is a free
:-)> country. What do you make of this, Zouh?  Was someone really arrested
:-)> and imprisoned for just attempting to organize a labor rights group
:-)> and drafting a petition?  I find this hard to believe, since China is
:-)> a free country and the government is the PEOPLES' Republic of China.
:-)>
:-)> Please explain how this could happen, if it really did.  I don't
:-)> understand.
:-)>
:-)>
:-)> John Hammes
:-)===========================================================
:-)REPLY
:-)===========================================================
:-)JH:
:-)
:-)        Extendedly, I used to listen to international shortwave broadcasts
:-)with the collaboration of a Magnavox radio.  While reception from Asia was

I did some of that myself.  Had a Heathkit shortwave radio i built
when I was 13 years old.  It opened up a whole new world to me (Radio
Moscow was my favorite).  One night, R.M. actually claimed that a song
to the tune of "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean" was written by a Soviet
songwriter, and the British version was stolen from him!  Seemed to
instill in me that what I'd heard all my life about Russia was true.

:-)good usually, the same could not be said concerning its content.  Actually,
:-)the Taiwan, Japanese, and
:-) Chinese accounts had to be taken with a grain of salt.  More reliable and
:-)informative were the BBC treatments of the news.
:-)
:-)        While changes occur in China and elsewhere, these may be more
:-)technological than human.  Thus it is still the practice to intimidate
:-)"dissidents" in some serious manner.  The term "re-education" remains a
:-)popular euphemism, especially in Asia.
:-)

Similar to the way killing mentally handicapped people was termed,
"taking away their misery" in Nazi Germany.

:-)Sincerely,
:-)Richard Swerdlin
:-)(swerdlin at gte.net)
:-)

    ____           .  _    .
   /# /_\_         |\_|/__/|
  |  |/o\o\       / / \/ \  \
  |  \\_/_/      /__|O||O|__ \
 / |_   |       |/_ \_/\_/ _\ |
|  ||\_ ~|      | | (____) | ||
|  ||| \/       \/\___/\__/  //
|  |||_         (_/         ||
 \//  |          |          ||
    (___)_)

     Rodney Dangerfield's joke of the day:

     Before I got married, my wife told me, "Don't talk about sex until
     we get married." We got married and she told me, "Now you can talk
     about it all you want."