Tradition

John Bush jbush at POST.CIS.SMU.EDU
Thu Jun 12 06:24:01 MDT 1997

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Stephen A. Frye wrote:

> >I will continue to laugh at liberals who attempt to use Christianity,
> >which they despise, as an argument for their ludicrous positions.

> That's quite a claim.  Are you saying that *all* liberals despise
> Christianity.  Are you saying that anyone who strives to be a good
> Christian cannot be liberal?
>
> And exactly how liberal?  Moderate, extreme?
>
> Please clarify.

I didn't mean to allow so many possible interpretations, so let me
rephrase it so that I am extremely clear about what I mean:

I will continue to laugh at those liberals that despise Christianity
and yet use it as an argument for their ludicrous positions.

Better?  I was not claiming that *all* liberals despise Christianity.
It's just that conservatives that despise Christianity don't usually
use it as a major point of their arguments--just liberals.

Can a person who strives to be a good Christian be a liberal?  This
of course depends on your definition of "good Christian" and
"liberal".

I'll assume my definition of a good Christion:

Can they support abortion?  I don't think so.  Can they support the
governments confiscation (stealing) of property from one person to
give it to another?  I don't think so.  Can they support the rights
of a bird of the rights of a human?  Nope.

Can they sell all there posesions and give the money to the poor?
I guess so.  Can they help send food to the poor and starving of the
world?  Sure.  Can they be an advocate for the oppressed?  Certainly.

If the first set of activities and beliefs is a liberal, then no.  If
the second set is a liberal, then yes.