Symington 1 Phoenix media 0

Jim Nantz jimn at INFICAD.COM
Fri Jun 20 02:37:11 MDT 1997

Thursday (June 19) Governor Symington put the Phoenix media in their place.
 This starts on March 13 when some mysterious lights were seen over south
Phoenix.  Nobody knows what they were and they did not show up on radar at
the airport.  This morning the governor announced that he was launching an
investigation into the lights and that the state Department of Public
Safety would be handling it.  This afternoon around 5 he called a press
conference to announce developments in the case.  The parking lot at the
capitol was full of remote vans from every tv station in town.  He said
that there had been an arrest in the case. When the reporters dutifully
showed up he had the following to say:

"I believe it a serious offense for anyone, human, space alien or otherwise
to engage in mysterious activity in our nighttime skies."

He then announced that a suspect had been arrested in the case.  He then
brought out the suspect - his cheif of staff Jay Hiler (sp?) dressed up in
a space alien suit.

I'm laughing as I type this.  Those reporters fell for it hook, line, and
sinker.  So far I've heard about it on CBS radio news, and the Fox News
Channel. Tonight channel 15 was reporting that press agencies from all over
the world also bit.

I feel sorry for all of you poor, unfortunate souls out there who don't
live in Arizona.