Global warming?

Mon Jun 30 17:30:48 MDT 1997

>100 years out of many billions. That amounts, at best, to a single data
>point on the scale of global history. How can anyone but a liberal plot a
>trend from a single data point?

That is a very poor argument.

Of course we have nothing to go on but our recorded history.  How could we
have more?

As the intelligent species that we claim to be - though I truly doubt that
- we are obligated to observe, analyze, and do the best we can.

We have no choice but to draw plots from the data we have.

Obviously extrapolation from limited data sets runs a huge risk of
inaccuracy - but it sure beats the heck out of just pretending it isn't there.

I love the argument - well, we don't know enough, so anyone that claims
anything must be wrong.

I don't agree with all the wild claims I hear.  Who does?  But even
mythology roots itself in some fact.  Maybe instead of calling each other
wackos and idiots, we should all, as the wise and intelligent species we
love to claim, work together for the betterment of all mankind.

Is that liberal, is that conservative, or is it maybe just a human desire
to make the best of what God has given us?

I am totally convinced after the three or so years I have read this group
that if a liberal agreed that the oceans were salt water, most
conservatives would immediately claim it wasn;t true simply because of the
source of the claim.

Now there is solid, scientific reasoning.

Stephen Frye