Fw: you have got to read this!!! (fwd)

Mike Wangsmo wanger at REDHAT.COM
Thu Nov 13 15:14:20 MST 1997

I snipped all of the long story from the AOL individual.  The simple truth of
the matter is that anytime you let someone else run software on your computer,
you are at their mercy.  The thing that is exceptionally dangerous about
services like AOL, Compuserve, etc. is that not only do they write and provide
to you the software, they also provide the connection service.  This is a
deadly combination!  If you desire ANY amount of reasonable privacy, then by
all means use a independent ISP (Internet Service Provider)!  Do not be lured
into feeling "warm and fuzzy" by the stuff that AOL commercials say.

The other important thing to remember is to use a operating system that is
secure.  Using win95 with Internet Exploder and being a member of MSN is no
different!  Anytime you use software written by only one company, then you are
completely at the mercy of that company.

I won't clutter this list with rambles about the countless security issues
that arise from networked computing environments, not to mention the US
government's laws regarding the control of security software!  If anyone feels
so inclined, I'd be happy to comment on any of the above issues, just mail me.

Mike