Fw: you have got to read this!!! (fwd)

Mike Wangsmo wanger at REDHAT.COM
Fri Nov 14 20:57:58 MST 1997

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997 19:06:10 -0500, Dennis Putnam wrote:

>How about a big thank you for Phil Zimmerman the developer of PGP.
>Fortunately there is no back door and insufficient computing resources to
>crack it.

PGP is great for file transfers, but helps very little when it comes to
remote access to servers, etc.  When I login to machines accross the
internet, anyone can "sniff" every keystroke I type.  Protocols such as
SSH are required to encrypt/decrypt interactive transmissions (such as
when I type my passowrds to login).

Those are the very senerios that I'm talking about with AOL, et al.  Every
transmission is unsecure and can be captured by anyone listening.  PGP
simply allows you to authenticate that a file or message is truely from
a known source.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not cutting down PGP, I'm simply
concerned about other data transmission situations.

Mike

Mike Wangsmo, QA Manager
Red Hat Software, Inc.

"If you hit the ball hard enough, you never have to run!"
        -- Mike Piazza