Fw: you have got to read this!!! (fwd)

Mike Wangsmo wanger at REDHAT.COM
Fri Nov 14 21:14:36 MST 1997

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997 22:33:11 -0800, "A. C. Szul" wrote:

>Mike, thanks for sharing that info.  Yes, I agree 110% that we must
>always remain wary of these governmental attempts for control, but we
>should also be seriously skeptical of every "WARNING!!!!!" message that
>comes down the pike.

Agreed.  There is always these silly little WARNING messages that get
posted to lists about things like email messages containing viruses.  In
fact there was that exact thread on this list last summer I think.

>Anyone have suggestions -- that is besides visiting a gov't web site
>that supposedly tells you what's a hoax and what's not? Ugh!

Well, in general, the FCC has a web site (I don't knwo the address) that
talks about viruses and such.  It is very reliable.  The FCC is actively
concerned about things like that.  It is the CIA/FBI that I am more concered
about.  Common sense and a good understanding about how computers work
and how information is transmitted is much better than trusting a site
on the internet.

Keep in mind that every single keystroke, every message, every file, every
thing that you send through the internet is subject to someone grabbing
and examining.  The only protection (and this is very ggod protection) is
to encrypt your transmissions.  SSH and kerberos are the main methods for
doing this.

I really don't have any advice for folks, except what I've already stated.
Avoid putting all of your eggs in one basket is probably the best solution.
For example, use a private, local ISP (not a national provider such as
AOL or mindspring), use a different mailer and web browser than your operating
system (ie if you use win95, then use Netscape to browse and Eudora or Pine
for mail).  If you are truely concerned about having security on your
local computer in a networked environment (which the internet is), then you
have to run an OS that handles security.  win95/Mac OS do NOT have ANY
measure of computer security/integrity built into them.  To get that you
need to use something like UNIX or at the very least (and I state this with
countless reservations) NT.

Always remember that jsut because you see something "published" on the web,
does not necessarily mean that it is true and/or correct.  Use whatever
screening process you use when watching the national news, but with 1000%
more scepticism!  Anyone can publish anything on the web and make it look
very credible.

Mike

Mike Wangsmo, QA Manager
Red Hat Software, Inc.

"If you hit the ball hard enough, you never have to run!"
        -- Mike Piazza