air bags

John Bush jbush at POST.CIS.SMU.EDU
Wed Nov 19 05:19:20 MST 1997

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Jim Nantz wrote:

> I heard on Fox News today that the government is going to allow some people
> to apply for permission to install a switch that will disable the airbags
> in their vehicles.
>
> This is the product of a liberal government that is WAY too involved in the
> lives of the people.  It's none of their damm business whether or not you
> or I disconnect the airbags in our cars and trucks.  A government that has
> this level of control scares me.  This may be something fairly innocent but
> I wonder what they would be capable of if they had something more sinister
> in mind.

Should you be able to remove the emmisions devices? the seatbelts?
the windshield?  Just how far does this idea go?

The real problem is people couldn't follow a simple set of
instructions: "If a child (or baby seat) is being put in a seat with
an airbag, move the seat as far away from the airbag as possible."
Because parents didn't follow this advice, children were injured and
killed.  To further prevent problems, we are now scared into putting
no children in seats with airbags--even though from everything I've
seen, following the original advice is safe.  Of course, being a
cautious parent, I will follow the new advice.