Quayle's presidential bid in 2000

A. C. Szul mack97 at EROLS.COM
Thu Oct 9 21:53:18 MDT 1997

Quayle says President Bush's `blew it' diary
                  entry distorted by media

                  Associated Press, 10/08/97 10:43

                  MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - Former Vice President Dan
Quayle says the
                  news media distorted President Bush's diary entry that
he ``blew it'' in
                  choosing Quayle to be his 1988 running mate.

                  ``It's just the national media playing games again,''
Quayle told reporters
                  Tuesday night from Faulkner University.

                  ``The author of the book says it's not correct, George
Bush says it's not
                  correct. So I think you ought to go with what those
two people say,'' Quayle
                  said.

                  A new biography of Bush by historian Herbert S. Parmet
says Bush wrote in
                  his diary about the 1988 vice presidential selection:
``It was my decision, and
                  I blew it, but I'm not about to say that I blew it.''

                  A Bush spokesman said the quote was taken out of
context and that Bush
                  was talking about how the media would use the
selection to attack Bush's
                  management style.

                  ``We checked all the subsequent diary entries,'' said
Bush spokesman Jim
                  McGrath. ``Bush always voices confidence that Quayle
would survive the
                  feeding frenzy and go on to be the great vice
president that he was. He never
                  wavers.''

                  Quayle has been on a national speaking tour as he
considers a possible
                  presidential bid in 2000.

--
-A