Gun Makers to Put Child Safety Locks on Guns

Fri Oct 17 09:15:13 MDT 1997

>I think the responsibility lies with the parental gun owner in preventing
>these problems.  I know it is really expecting a lot from parents to
>instruct their children about the dangers of loaded guns and all, but I think
>it must be done.

Absolutely.

>I remember when I grew up Dad always had a loaded shotgun out of the gun
>cabinet and I also knew how dangerous it was.  Even as a small child, I had a
>fear of what my Dad would do if I even so much as acknowledged the mere
>presence of that loaded gun without him around.  I also was exposed at a very
>early age to hunting, so I had a tremendous amount of respect for what a gun
>can do to a living being.

Fear of what your father would do is irrelevant if you or a friend
mishandled the loaded gun that he left out.  Children do not always do the
right thing.  Every on of us as parents has seen at one time or another a
child live for the moment rather than for the big picture.  There is not a
chance I would ever leave a loaded gun accessible to a child unless I was
physically present and immediately supervising.  I don't care what that
child had been taught.  They make mistakes.  I would choose to do
everything in my power to avoid a fatal one, rather than test the success
of my discipline with his or her life.

Stephen Frye