Gun Makers to Put Child Safety Locks on Guns

PapaPaul febboy at IX.NETCOM.COM
Fri Oct 17 11:41:03 MDT 1997

At 12:40 PM 10/17/97 +0500, Mike Wangsmo wrote:
>>>I remember when I grew up Dad always had a loaded shotgun out of the gun
>>>cabinet and I also knew how dangerous it was.  Even as a small child, I
had a
>>>fear of what my Dad would do if I even so much as acknowledged the mere
>>>presence of that loaded gun without him around.  I also was exposed at a
very
>>>early age to hunting, so I had a tremendous amount of respect for what a
gun
>>>can do to a living being.
>>>

>>Fear of what your father would do is irrelevant if you or a friend
>>mishandled the loaded gun that he left out.  Children do not always do the
>>right thing.  Every on of us as parents has seen at one time or another a
>>child live for the moment rather than for the big picture.  There is not a
>>chance I would ever leave a loaded gun accessible to a child unless I was
>>physically present and immediately supervising.  I don't care what that
>>child had been taught.  They make mistakes.  I would choose to do
>>everything in my power to avoid a fatal one, rather than test the success
>>of my discipline with his or her life.
>
>I guess that maybe this wouldn't work for all households, but we lived out in
>the country in rural Montana.  I think all kids were mostly brought up with
>guns being a day to day house hold item.  It was really no big deal for
any of
>us kids to "show off a gun" to a friend because their families all had them
>too.  I guess I just come from a different environment than the population of
>the US in general.
>
>Mike

I understand  Stephen's point.  I understand  Mike's point.  I remember
(and I am not kidding)  seeing townsfolk wearing  sidearms when I was a
kid in a small Colorado town.  I remember walking through the center of
town with my rifle (unloaded) as a kid of 12 or 13.   My mother and dad
were very strict in the enforcement of their rules, but kept their rule
making to a  minimum and maximized the  freedom of their kids.  We want
to protect our children, of course, but isn't it also possible to over-
protect them?   The decisions are tough.  If I had children, my impulse
would be to lock the kitchen  doors to protect them from hot stoves and
knives, just as  Indians used to lock up their bows and arrows;  but in
the back of my mind I would be remembering the education my mother  and
dad gave me in responsibility and freedom.  The decisions are tough.

Regards, PapaPaul