Gun Makers to Put Child Safety Locks on Guns

Mike Wangsmo wanger at REDHAT.COM
Fri Oct 17 05:23:18 MDT 1997

>I understand  Stephen's point.  I understand  Mike's point.  I remember
>(and I am not kidding)  seeing townsfolk wearing  sidearms when I was a
>kid in a small Colorado town.  I remember walking through the center of
>town with my rifle (unloaded) as a kid of 12 or 13.   My mother and dad

Back in Montana, I used to wear my sidearm (holstered of course) into
McDonalds or gas stations and what not during hunting season.  It is legal (at
least in Montana) to wear a firearm in public as long as it is not concealed
without a special permit.  With a concealed weapons permit then it doesn't
matter.  Excluded are Federal buildings and any buildings which post signs explicitly
stating no firearms.

>were very strict in the enforcement of their rules, but kept their rule
>making to a  minimum and maximized the  freedom of their kids.  We want
>to protect our children, of course, but isn't it also possible to over-
>protect them?   The decisions are tough.  If I had children, my impulse
>would be to lock the kitchen  doors to protect them from hot stoves and
>knives, just as  Indians used to lock up their bows and arrows;  but in
>the back of my mind I would be remembering the education my mother  and
>dad gave me in responsibility and freedom.  The decisions are tough.

I agree.  I remember back to some of the very stupid and crazy things I did as
a kid (that my Dad probably knew about) and although I cringe at the thought
of my kids doing the same, I know that I became a better person for having the
freedom to learn on my own.  This certainly is a very difficult decision to
make.  I just want to make sure that it always remains MY decision to make and
the government doesn't start "helping me out". :)

Mike