Gun Makers to Put Child Safety Locks on Guns

A. C. Szul mack97 at EROLS.COM
Fri Oct 17 20:09:45 MDT 1997

Mike Wangsmo wrote:

> >>I remember when I grew up Dad always had a loaded shotgun out of the gun
> >>cabinet and I also knew how dangerous it was.  Even as a small child, I had a
> >>fear of what my Dad would do if I even so much as acknowledged the mere
> >>presence of that loaded gun without him around.  I also was exposed at a very
> >>early age to hunting, so I had a tremendous amount of respect for what a gun
> >>can do to a living being.
> >>

> >Fear of what your father would do is irrelevant if you or a friend
> >mishandled the loaded gun that he left out.  Children do not always do the
> >right thing.  Every on of us as parents has seen at one time or another a
> >child live for the moment rather than for the big picture.  There is not a
> >chance I would ever leave a loaded gun accessible to a child unless I was
> >physically present and immediately supervising.  I don't care what that
> >child had been taught.  They make mistakes.  I would choose to do
> >everything in my power to avoid a fatal one, rather than test the success
> >of my discipline with his or her life.
>
> I guess that maybe this wouldn't work for all households, but we lived out in
> the country in rural Montana.  I think all kids were mostly brought up with
> guns being a day to day house hold item.  It was really no big deal for any of
> us kids to "show off a gun" to a friend because their families all had them
> too.  I guess I just come from a different environment than the population of
> the US in general.
>
> Mike

> Mike Wangsmo, QA Manager                           Red Hat Software,Inc
>
> "If you hit the ball hard enough, you never have to run!" --Mike Piazza

Your comment brings home an excellent point:  depending *where* you
live, a gun can be your best friend.  Living in Philadelphia hasn't
always been comforting, considering the crime rate isn't dropping, but
owning a gun does help.  And we have kids at home who have been taught
that a gun should be used in responsible ways only.....b/c a firearm
*can* be your best friend.

--
-A
http://www.erols.com/mack97