FWD: National ID by Stealth Legislation

A. C. Szul mack97 at EROLS.COM
Sun Oct 19 18:15:38 MDT 1997

Date:          Sat, 20 Sep 1997 01:24:56 +0000
To:            deva777 at dedot.com
From:          Watchman <watchman at pacifier.com>
Subject:       re:Fema

From: Patricia Neill  Subject: National ID by Stealth Legislation

Below is an edited, annotated message I received last week about our new
national ID card.   I've spent several hours researching the bills and
laws noted here. Though some of the information isn't.

1. We now have a national ID card. It's a done thing. Congress inflicted
this upon us late in the 104th Congress, apparently without debate or
media coverage.

2. The original language for the card was contained in HR 2202, the
Immigration Control and Responsibility Act of 1996. Near as I can tell,
these provisions were eventually folded into HR 3610, the

3. As it learned to do after the Hillary health care fiasco, Congress
took a quiet little back door to the national ID. It put it in the form
of state drivers licenses.

3. The law requires all states to begin requiring verified SS numbers
for
drivers licenses after October 1, 2000. These licenses must also have
other "security features" te be determined, in part, by 2006, no
governmental agency in the U.S. will be allowed to accept any other form
of ID.  You will not be able to get a passport or utilize any other
government service at any level without one of these.

4. In a recent AP story, there was talk of a plan to forbid anyone from
boarding an airplane without one of these cards. You can expect stores,
banks and other businesses to begin requiring them.

5. The post accompanying this one claims you will also need one of these
cards to get a job, and that you will not be able to get a job until a
verification system okays you. (This was in the original)

HB 1243 (Companion bill - SB 5264  )
(In the State of Washington)
"Every person applying for an original, renewal, or duplicate driver's
license shall submit to an electronic finger scan as provided in Section
2 of this Act".

What I believe it will do is enslave our citizens in a numbering system
that will track every move, every purchase, every facet of our daily
lives. This is called a de-facto National Identity card.

The minimum requirements listed in HB 1243 include that it be in effect
by Feb. 1, 1998; a Central Issuance System; Digital Imaging system
(photograph and signature); one and two dimensional bar cod

Please note that is the 'minimum' requirements. How big a step is it to
include all your financial records, employment history, medical records,
personal (marriage, children, divorce, bankruptcy, etc.)

The Congressional directive mentioned in HB 1243: NEW SECTION. Section
1., originated in HR 2202, Sec. 118 - Immigration Control and Financial
Responsibility Act of 1996 (Engrossed Senate Amendment)

This bill is the result of a directive from Congress. It is passed in
Public Law 104-208 sec 656. The text comes from HR 2202 sec 118. PL
104-208 was passed Sept 30 1996.  It is titled the Omnibus A.

------<snip>-----------------

Any comments re above? Positive vs. negative aspects?

IMO, positive: may help avoid terrorist acts on airplanes, since you
need one of these goodies to get on -- though w/ tech advances, one
never knows the ability to dup; negative:  as mentioned above, gov't can
literally follow your tracks, what you do, where you go etc....

But, why would the gov't want to (even can??!) track EVERYONE?  Just in
case one turns out to be a bad apple?  Waste of money?  Or a good
investment?  Is this any worse than MAC/ATM or credit cards?

What about the psychological impact?  Behavioral?  Mass population
"control."

Someone find ONE AP/Reuters story on this? Hmmmm.....
--
-A
http://www.erols.com/mack97