FWD: Clinton for Chief Justice?

Thomas J. Benthall tbenthal at SCHOOLLINK.NET
Wed Oct 22 21:33:44 MDT 1997

Patty wrote:

> >I want to preface my remarks by saying I came in late on what Rush was
> >saying.  I hope I heard him correctly.  If not I apologize.
> >
> >I just heard Rush say that there is a publication called Capital Style
> >that is reporting that if Chief Justice William Renquist retires before
> >Clintons term is up, then he will resign and Al Gore will become prez
> >and nominate Clinton for Chief Justice. I gather this is only a theory
> >
> >He mentioned Mike McCurrys name but I did not hear in what context.
> >
> >Did anyone else hear about this from Rush today?  It boggles the mind.
> >The First Felon as Chief Justice.

I read it in Forecasts and Trends, an futures analysis newsletter,
about 2 weeks ago.  The editor of the newsletter stated that he
could not substantiate it but had heard and had been reading about
it in enough places.  He was just passing it along as "food for
thought".

The story assumes that Gore is president.

The deal was supposed to have been made with Gore prior to the 1996
elections.  The story has it that Clinton threatened to dump Gore
from the ticket unless he agreed to it.  The deal was that if Bill
and Hillary were convicted of anything Gore would pardon them.  If
they were not convicted of anything Gore would make Clinton the
next Supreme Court Justice and if possible, Chief Justice.

> Sounds like nonsense to me, one of Rush's jokes probably. But even if it
> were true it would never happen with a Republican Senate. Given the
> precedent set by Democrats in the Justice Thomas fiasco it might make
> interesting TV. Remember it is not the evidence that is important but the
> seriousness of the charge.

Could something like this REALLY happen?  I believe it could.  That
is SCARE--REE.

Thomas J. Benthall
Ingot We Trust