OOPPS, there goes another military plane

Thu Oct 23 08:51:10 MDT 1997

>        I'm inclined to agree.  I wonder about the lack of discipline, the
lack of
>professionalism, the lack of pride.  Both of my brothers and my son have
>complained about poor military attitude.
>
>        What in your experience did you see that leads you to believe the
problem
>is as you state?
>
>                        ---Em
>
>Emily Carder

Wow - loaded question.  All that you mentioned above is pertinent.  But in
the last decade or decade and a half it has become very difficult to retain
good, highly qualified personnel.  These qualifications transcend the
simple ability to do the job well.  Qualification necessarily implies
compliance to a military way of life.  It is my experience that qualified
leadership is lacking, adherence to standards is cursory and has become
simply a matter of everyone covering their own backsides, and most
strongly, the military is not allowed to do its job.  The legislative and
executive branches have their noses and fingers in everything the military
attempts to do.

The military for years has suffered from despondence among the qualified
personnel.  Why not?  There are jobs in civilian sector that will pay high
salaries for their skills.  It is more often than not the unskilled that
remain.  Retirement benefits have been slashed and made less and less
attractive.  Not as many qualified individuals are looking at the military
as a career.  That often leaves - less than the best - to lead.  There are
daily fewer and fewer incentives for the ones we want to stay in the
service.   This must change.  What we don't want is to end up with a
military service comprised almost entirely of people who are there only
because they couldn;t succeed elsewhere - and, unfortunately, I believe
that is the military our congress and president are creating.

Stephen Frye