OOPPS, there goes another military plane

Emily Carder carder at MEMPHISONLINE.COM
Fri Oct 24 10:43:05 MDT 1997

At 09:00 AM 10/24/97 -0700, you wrote:

>>Suprise! I have to agree here. However, what may not be discountable is
>>morale but I don't know how one would objectively measure its effects.
>>

>You are absolutely right about morale.  I don't know how to quantify it,
>but its effects were evident years ago when I was in, and friends say it is
>worse now.  The hard-working struggle every minute to do their best -
>because of personal integrity - while others do their best to do the least.
> I think this is probably true everywhere, but in the military, the ratio
>seems to be somewhat higher. (like a lot higher).
>
>Stephen Frye

        Not only that, I think we are at what might be tha tail-end of military
brats who were raised with a memory of when the Army DID take care of its
own, when there was a reason to Be Proud. Be Navy, and are entering, and
quickly exiting, today's modern miltary.  There is nothing like personal
integrity mixed with military pride, and scrambled with an attitude of the
least for the most to mess a young person's brains and emotions.  The
cynicism, well earned by congressional shaftings of retirement and active
duty loss of benefits, coupled with the low morale, results in a young
person too well acquainted with futility.

        My son's first duty was the Belleau Wood.  He arrived on ship within two
weeks after the murder in Sasebo, Japan. (I forgot the young man's name!).
That incident, and the accompanying 'gai-jin' attitude from the locals, was
nothing compared to life onboard.  Gangs don't exist only on land-locked
cities;  they run rampant on the floating cities, as well.

                        ---Em

Emily Carder