Global warming

John Bush jbush at POST.CIS.SMU.EDU
Tue Oct 28 12:35:06 MST 1997

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Stephen A. Frye wrote:

> Would you please post the one I did, for I have no recollection of stating
> we should spend that amount of money.
post and reply #1 is the one I was referring to:

> Here are the original posts and my replies.  For the life of me I cannot
> see where I said to spend the money.
>
> ---------------------------
>
> post and reply #1
>
> >"It's wonderful to think that the world is so very wealthy that a single
> >nation - America - can consider spending $100 billion or so each year to
> >address a problem that may not exist - and that, if it does exist,
> >certainly has unknown dimensions."
> >
> I am surprised that a physicist would make such a remark.  I agree, if it
> exists, its dimensions are unknown.  The question I ask - does that mean
> the best choice is to just ignore it?  Talk about burying one's head in the
> sand.
The physicist said that we can't consider spending $100 billion or so
each year to address a problem that may not exist.  You turned around
and implied, not spending the $100 billion was to "ignore it" and
"bury one's head in the sand."  At the very least, you inferred that
the said physicist didn't want to do any research.  He didn't say
that.  Your attack on his condemnation of the spending of $100
billion seemed to be a tacet agreement to the money being spent.