No subject

Sun Feb 1 20:45:40 MST 1998

>Stephen you're so right.  This mess in Iraq wouldn't be happening if Bush
>had let the military finish the job in 91.  I read once that the Roman
>emperors had a policy of not leaving anyone with a grudge in a position to
>do anything about it.  If they conquered someone they either killed the
>conquered ruler or gave him more power than he would have ever had on his
>own, thus ensuring a loyal ally.  In this case Bush left someone with a
>grudge in a position to do something about it.
>--

The problem is I don't know what to do about it now.  I'm glad I am not a
general or military leader.  I don't have a clue.

Though I believe that something must be done, I also believe that any
military strike, short of a total force to complete submission, will
accomplish nothing.  We'll destroy some known weapons plants, kill some
civilians, and Sadam will once again to appear as a martyr and hero to his
people.  We will appear as the monster capitalist infidels.  Business as
usual, just a lot more people dead afterwards.  My very sad guess is that
someday we, or perhaps some other country, will pay a very high price for
our past hesitation.

Stephen Frye