Promulgating the Gospel << Was Conspiracies >>

Doug Bergner doug at NETWRX.NET
Mon Feb 2 08:10:32 MST 1998

>        I think this is a useful thread.  I think you fellows
>        have identified the reason many of us on the list
>        consider ourselves conservative (in my case, conservative/
>        leaning libertarian); i.e., we are concerned about the
>        loss of liberty.  How do we convince our fellow citizens
>        of the danger we see?  I'd like to see further discussion
>        on the topic.

       -Bravo! PP, that is the 64 dollar question...

>        And I'd like to toss in an idea here.  I think we could
>        choose our targets more carefully.  While it may be fun
>        to lay into a liberal, it is likely that we will get only
>        a minimal return on our invested energy.  After all, what
>        we are asking these people to do is:  1)  Unlearn your
>        cherished philosophy,  2) Learn my cherished philosophy.
>        Instead, I'd suggest we spend more of our time and energy
>        on those family members and friends who really haven't
>        developed a set philosophy.  The payoff should be a lot
>        higher.
>
>        Regards, PapaPaul

       - I would tend to agree, and your right, a favorite target these days
for conservatives would seem to be liberals.  I have a majority of
conservative leanings, however, I have no problem being critical of ANYBODY
reguardless thier political allegiance who may threaten our liberty.  I
think part of the problem is that it is so hard these days to have a
substantive (sp?) debate with people.  Herbert Hoover said:"The glory of a
nation rests upon the character of her men." We need to be building
character into people,
instilling the values and morals that made this country great.  Instead, I
fear we are tooooo busy teaching "what feels right".  We are diverted at
every turn by "non-issues" such as global warming, or who is the next guest
on Oprah. Dont forget, he who frames the debate generally wins.  We need to
take positive PRO-active steps.  Instead, we are reeling, undirected and
REactining to everything.

doug-

"If no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us is
capable of governing someone else" -Ronald Reagan