Lack of U.S. Military Combat Strength

Jim Nantz jim at COTTAGESOFT.COM
Mon Feb 2 10:53:09 MST 1998

At 08:47 AM 2/2/98 -0800, Stephen wrote:
>Go visit several army or other military bases.  Talk with personnel.  Find
>out first hand what the morale is.  If they say it's low - find out why!

I have spoken to several military personnel since Clinton was elected and I
have not yet found one that was happy with the situation.  There's one who
is on my Mother's side.  He signed up in the mid 60s - enlisted not
drafted.  He did his tour in Vietnam.  When he finished his tour he was
given the opportunity to leave Vietnam and take an assignment elsewhere.
He volunteered for another tour in Vietnam.  He was a carreer man and
stayed in until 1994 when he retired.  My grandmother saw him that summer
and when she came home she told me he said he retired because did not like
serving under a man who protesting in Europe and hanging out in Moscow
while he was in the jungles of Vietnam.

The other people in the military I've talked to have similar opinions.  I
met two men about a month ago.  One was still in the Navy and the other was
recently discharged from the Marines.  The Navy man was more reserved about
his opinions.  He said what he felt but said he should have at least some
respect for the Commander in Chief.  The ex marine went in to more detail.
He was upset over the lack of support given to the men in Somalia.  He
didn't like the new policy on homosexuals in the military. He didn't like
the cuts in budgets for repairs and maintainance on equipment.

They are having to offer bonuses because they're having trouble convincing
people to re enlist.  They're taking only the best people now and not the
misfits who can't get a job anywhere else for one reason - they don't need
as many people now because of the downsizing in the military.  It works
like this:  If you need 1million people and you have 800,000 smart people
and millions of misfits then you have to take some of the people who are
less than desirable.  If you only need 700,000 people then you can take
only the best.

Then you run into another problem.  Some of these people realize they can
make a whole lot more money in civilian life and don't have to worry about
getting shot at work (except for cops and postal workers).  These people
knowing they can get a better deal in civilian life dont re enlist.  They
look at all the reasons for staying in and all the reasons for leaving and
decide to leave.

I've seen the same thing in comapnies I've worked for.  I've worked at
places where the pay wasn't good, the company had little regard for the
employees and wouldn't spend the money needed to properly maintain
equipment.  I would work at such places until I could find something better
and quit.
--

Plutonium - fat free, no cholesterol, zero calories