Promulgating the Gospel

Maher, Steve (SD-MS) SMAHER at GI.COM
Mon Feb 2 17:44:00 MST 1998

>Face it - what percentage of
>the conservative philosophy is financially based?  We talk money, money,
>money.

About 1/2 of it, IMHO.

The other half, centers around the effects of regulation upon putatively-
sovereign citizens... or the lack of it.

Citizens faced with too many regulations, tend to shy away from any
innovative actions or projects, for fear of tripping over some law that
wasn't there last week. Some of them also tend to increase their "Let
George do it" quotient. Both of these tendencies have nothing to do
with money... and everything to do with freedom.

Conversely, a citizen faced with few or no regulations, is painfully
aware that he's on his own-- if he does the right thing, he benefits;
if he screws up, he has no one but himself to blame; and, finally, he
knows that the sky is the limit-- only the limitations of his own personal
ingenuity and sweat, will keep him from doing what he wants. While scary,
that's exhilirating. Liberating, one might almost say...

In modern society, the "benefit" often comes in the form of money. So,
to that extent, discussions of conservatism will include discussions of
money. But conservatism encompasses more than that-- it includes ideas
of how to be happier, both in ourselves and with each other: the METHODS
of achieving happiness, as well as the happiness itself and other benefits.

And conservatism embodies the notion that happiness can be achieved by
means of freedom-- scary and difficult though it may be.

Quite different from the current liberal notion that happiness can be
achieved only if we sacrifie to others, whether we like it or not.

Steve Maher   http://www.wp.com/IrishMafia