Peter Jennings and the Stock Market

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Wed Feb 11 10:12:03 MST 1998

At 10:32 PM 2/10/98 -0800, Jack Tomsky wrote:
>Tonight, on World News Tonight, Peter Jennings admitted that he was
>wrong about the stock market.  Since 1982, when the Dow Jones average
>stood at 778, the market has increased to more than tenfold.  During
>this time, Peter Jennings has rarely mentioned the steady consistent
>rise in the price of stocks.  However, when there is a temporary
>correction, it becomes the lead story.  "Panic.  Stock market crash.
>The Asian crisis.  Insecurity."
>
>   Tonight he said,
>
>   "Good evening.  We're going to begin tonight with the power and
>confidence of the small investor.  When the stock market rose today to a
>record high, it caught SOME PEOPLE off guard.  The government and the
>MEDIA have been so intently focused on all that perilous news from Asia
>and what it would mean here.  At the end of January, most of the market
>analysts thought it would be a bad year.  Today, however, it looked like
>individual investors were saying 'whatever happened in the rest of the
>world, putting my money here at home was as good as putting it
>anywhere.'  Today, the Dow Jones industrials gained 115 points and the
>record high at the close was 8,295 (sic)."
>
>   If you think that's not an admission of error, then you don't know
>Peter Jennings.  After all, when there are two minutes to go to air
>time, he's still rewriting the lead story in his head. He also types at
>his computer keyboard with two fingers.

        Very perceptive on all points. Jennings detests "humble pie" and having to
consume it in public. And, yes, he is self-taught at typing - as are a
great many "veterans" in the business. Most are downright awful at typing,
as well.

John A. Quayle

"I know liberals by now....they have NO argument because they fear the
light of truth. They are the vampires of the modern world, whose only goal
is to herd us like cattle so that they may eat of our substance." - Dr
Memory,<uhclem at usit.net> 1-5-98