Tension in the Middle East

Dennis Putnam dap1 at MINDSPRING.COM
Sun Feb 15 08:49:50 MST 1998

At 02:23 PM 2/14/98 -0800, you wrote:
>At 23:32 2/11/98 -0800, Richard A Whitenight wrote:
>
>The answer to this question is YES, or the result will be another
>"Chamberlain's Appeasement Folly" of 1938.
>
>But, the rest of your preface has some issues to be addressed.  I don't
>think it has to be (nor should it be) that the U.S. take the initiative
>unilaterally.  It should be done, as happened the last time, under the
>auspices of the U.N. with a number of our allies signing off on the
>process, even though, ultimately, the U.S. would undoubtedly carry out the
>military option, probably exclusively.

Unfortunately, this requires a president that has political savvy in
foreign affairs and can speak from the high moral ground. Unfortunately we
have a draft-dodging, adultering, philandering, sleazebag that publically
admits he "loathes the military." A world wide laughing-stock is unlikely
to accomplish much of anything other then 'Folly.'