Simon Vs Ehrlich (Hehehe)

Gary Freitag gfreitag at GREATBATCH.COM
Wed Feb 18 14:58:47 MST 1998

PapPaul writes:

>Tom Sowell sez:

>Professor Simon made a famous bet with the leading hysteria-monger of
>our
>time, Paul Ehrlich of Stanford University. Simon had offered to bet
>anybody
>that any set of natural resources that they claimed were running low
>would
>in fact be cheaper in the future than today. Professor Ehrlich took him
>up
>on it. Simon allowed Ehrlich to pick which resources and which period of
>time.

>Ehrlich and his fellow hysterics chose a bundle of ten natural resources
>and a period of ten years. At the end of the decade, not only was the
>real
>cost of that bundle lower than at the beginning, every single natural
>resource that the Ehrlich camp had picked had a lower real cost than
>when
>the decade began.

><<<<<< S N I P >>>>>>

>With a full understanding of the opposition and smears he would
>encounter,
>Julian Simon nevertheless wrote The Economics of Population Growth,
>Population Matters, and -- his best-known book -- The Ultimate
>Resource. To
>him, the ultimate resource was human intelligence.

>We should also add, in honor of Julian Simon [who recently died], the
>courage to use that intelligence.

This is another one of those topics that seem to have a "gut feel
logic" to it.  Something "feels" right about what Ehrich says.  It is
very similar to recent discussions on the rich and the notion that
charity "feels" right; and that there is something that "feels" wrong
about desiring wealth.  It "feels" right to take money from the rich
and give it to the poor.  It "feels" wrong to do animal testing.  It
"feels" right to give health care to everyone.  It "feels" wrong to
consume resourses.

That is the crux of it all.  People like Ehrich know the truth because
underneath all the supposed facts, arguments and logic, it is the deep
down feeling that makes it true- it is an undeniable truth.

My belief in certain things (such as God) are also ultimately based on
the same intangable, underlying knowledge (feel) of truth.  And in this
sense, the liberal's belief is more of a religious one, and less of one
based on facts.

gary
gfreitag at greatbatch.com