Feeney: Clinton's Get-Us-Bread Address (Humor)

Maher, Steve (SD-MS) SMAHER at GI.COM
Fri Feb 20 10:44:00 MST 1998

Below is Clinton's version of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address as
shortened from the full story attached as ascii file unp-art.txt.

Bill Feeney

CLINTON'S GET-US-BREAD ADDRESS

Tape of secret Oval Office meeting on August 20, 1997.  Present are
Bill and Hillary Rodham Clinton, Vice President Al Gore, Bruce
Lindsey, James Carville, Paul Begala, numerous other White House and
political aides, and various donors to Clinton-Gore and the
Democratic National Committee. The Clinton speech, given behind
closed doors, was referred to as Clinton's "Get-Us-Bread" Address, as
it was modeled on Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. (Lincoln's immortal
words are at http://www.csrn.com/gettysbu.htm, among other locations
on the web.)

CARVILLE: I am taking time out from my campaign against that partisan
Ken Starr. Ain't it great that no one in the media ever notices the
irony of me calling Ken Starr partisan? I'm here because this is an
important occasion today. It is my pleasure to introduce the Vice
President of the United States - Al Gore.

GORE: This is a special occasion for our donors and those who helped
raise funds. It is an honor for me to introduce someone who has set a
new standard for leadership - my friend, President Bill Clinton.

CLINTON:

Four years and seven months ago our campaign brought forth on this
government a new presidency, conceived in liberalism and dedicated to
the proposition that all men and women are created equally dependent
on the government.

Now we are engaged in a great political struggle, testing whether that
presidency or any presidency so conceived and so dedicated can long
endure. We are met on a great fund raising site of that struggle. We
have come to dedicate a portion of this Oval Office, as a monument for
those who here gave their cash, legal or otherwise, that that
presidency might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we
should do this, just as it was fitting and proper for me to discuss my
underpants on TV.

But, in a larger sense, we can not justify - we can not excuse - we
can not dedicate - this monument. The brave donors and presidential
aides, living and dead, who raised funds here, have dedicated it, far
above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note,
nor long remember, what we say here (as this will be one of the
"missing episodes" of my White House tapes), but it can never forget
how much illegal money was raised here.

It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the
unfinished work which they who donated here have thus far so nobly
advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task
remaining before us - that from these honored donors we take increased
devotion to that cause for which they gave a huge amount of illegal
cash - that we here highly resolve that these donors shall not have
donated in vain - that this presidency, under secular humanism, shall
have a new birth of liberalism - and that people of the government,
run by the government, working for the government, shall not perish
from the earth.

[end transcript]

full version at http://www.floodlight-findings.com/unp-art.html
copyright 1998 Bill Feeney (http://www.floodlight-findings.com -
email with NOT deleted to bfeeney at NOTfloodlight-findings.com )
nonprofit redistribution allowed with this notice intact