Heads Up to the Group

Hank Stanley arjohns at ADNC.COM
Fri Feb 20 18:59:37 MST 1998

Subject: FW: Phone Scam
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 13:21:33 -0800

-----Original Message-----

   On Saturday,  24 January 1998, Naval Air Station, Joint Reserve Base,
   New Orleans' Quarterdeck, received a telephone call from an individual
   identifying himself as an AT&T Service Technician that was running a
   test on our telephone lines.  He stated that to complete the test the
   QMOW should touch nine (9), zero (0), pound sign (#) and hang up.
   Luckily, the QMOW was suspicious and refused.  Upon contacting the
   telephone company, we were informed that by pushing 90# you end up
   giving the individual that called you access to your telephone line and
   allows them to place a long distance telephone call, with the charge
   appearing on your telephone bill.  We were further informed that this
   scam has been originating from many of the local jails/prisons.

   Please "pass the word".