Don't Know If This Is True

PapaPaul febboy at IX.NETCOM.COM
Sun Feb 22 23:19:12 MST 1998

Folks, the following was just copped off one of those ALT
newsgroups; therefore, I have no idea if it is true or not,
but it makes interesting reading:

-------
Asked to give a toast before the prestigious New York Press
Club in 1953, John Swinton, the former Chief of Staff at
the New York Times, made this candid confession [it's worth
noting that Swinton was called "The Dean of His Profession"
by other newsmen, who admired him greatly]: " There is no
such thing, at this date of the world's history, as an
independent press. You know it and I know it. There is not
one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if
you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in
print. I am paid weekly for keeping my honest opinions out
of the paper I am connected with.  Others of you are paid
similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who
would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be
out on the streets looking for another job.  If I allowed
my honest opinions to appear in one issue of my paper,
before twenty-four hours my occupation would be gone. The
business of the journalist is to destroy the truth; to lie
outright; to pervert; to vilify; to fawn at the feet of
mammon, and to sell the country for his daily bread. You
know it and I know it and what folly is this toasting an
independent press. We are the tools and vassals of the rich
men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull
the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities
and our lives are all the property of other men. We are
intellectual prostitutes. "
This was in the 1950's, if it happened.  He says the rich
guys pull the strings.  Many on this list, myself included,
believe that a bias shared by liberal media colors what is
seen, read, and heard.  I wonder if newspaper guys still
share his opinion?

Regards, PapaPaul