Don't Know If This Is True

John A. Quayle blueoval at SGI.NET
Mon Feb 23 10:04:59 MST 1998

At 10:19 PM 2/22/98 -0800, PapaPaul wrote:
>Folks, the following was just copped off one of those ALT
>newsgroups; therefore, I have no idea if it is true or not,
>but it makes interesting reading:
>
>-------
>Asked to give a toast before the prestigious New York Press
>Club in 1953, John Swinton, the former Chief of Staff at
>the New York Times, made this candid confession [it's worth
>noting that Swinton was called "The Dean of His Profession"
>by other newsmen, who admired him greatly]: "There is no
>such thing, at this date of the world's history, as an
>independent press. You know it and I know it. There is not
>one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if
>you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in
>print. I am paid weekly for keeping my honest opinions out
>of the paper I am connected with. Others of you are paid
>similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who
>would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be
>out on the streets looking for another job. If I allowed
>my honest opinions to appear in one issue of my paper,
>before twenty-four hours my occupation would be gone. The
>business of the journalist is to destroy the truth; to lie
>outright; to pervert; to vilify; to fawn at the feet of
>mammon, and to sell the country for his daily bread. You
>know it and I know it and what folly is this toasting an
>independent press. We are the tools and vassals of the rich
>men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull
>the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities
>and our lives are all the property of other men. We are
>intellectual prostitutes. "
>----------
>This was in the 1950's, if it happened.

        I've seen this one before and from everything I've seen of the industry
(which includes a considerable stint as a free-lancer), yes, the above is
probably true.

> He says the rich guys pull the strings.

        But, that's true in all walks of life. Ever have your paycheck signed by a
poor bum?

> Many on this list, myself included, believe that a bias shared by liberal
media > colors what is seen, read, and heard. I wonder if newspaper guys still
>share his opinion?

        In a word, no. Most "journalists" today, see themselves as the "moral
gatekeepers" of the world, ready to protect the general populace from those
nasty conservatives. But, of course, today's version of "journalist" pales
by comparison to those of even the '50s vintage.

>Regards, PapaPaul

Best,

John

John A. Quayle

"Government is *NOT* the solution to our problem........ Government is the
*PROBLEM*!"
 - Ronald Reagan, Inaugural Address, 1981