The New Deal

Mon Feb 23 15:14:33 MST 1998

>If we get to inspect things, and so send the carriers home... and
>then Saddam starts breaking agreements again, next year... what do
>we do then?

That's a very interesting question.  What do we propose for the long term?
Do any of us really believe that bombing Iraq will have any impact?  It
will kill people.  It will destroy buildings.  It will make Saddam more of
a hero than he is now with his people.  It will antagonize relationships
with several NATO nations, and it will get some of our soldiers killed.
And what will any of that do in the long run?  probably nothing.

We beat him before, and look where we are today.  We beat him today, where
does that put us five years from now?  Unless, of course, we support all
out war and just annihilate him and his people into total submission.

I am not in favor of letting him get away with what he has done.  I just
don't see how killing lots of innocent people will change that.

Personally - I think we're all just a little blood thirsty.

Stephen Frye