The New Deal

Dennis Putnam dap1 at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Feb 23 17:24:33 MST 1998

At 01:36 PM 2/23/98 -0800, you wrote:

>That's more like it... IF he sticks to it (a very big if). Let's see--
>we inspect all the sites, satisfy ourselves that he doesn't have any
>more weapons of mass destruction, and then we lift the sanctions?
>Didn't we have exactly this agreement in place after 1992... and his
>breaking it, was the reason for the present problem?
>
>I heard Clinton say that we'll believe it AFTER our inspectors have
>gone through several of these buildings... good for him.

Good for him? Sadam has now dealyed things so that all the weapons and
material has been moved some place else.

>If we get to inspect things, and so send the carriers home... and
>then Saddam starts breaking agreements again, next year... what do
>we do then?

Same thing that we have done over the past 7 years. We allow him to stall
things until he moves what he doesn't what the inspectors to see then we
let him 'negotiate' an agreement that makes him look like a winner to his
people further strenghtening his hold on Iraq. In the meantime we pretend
we are imposing sanctions to cause Iraq's citizens to topple him internally.