Walking the Dog

Mon Feb 23 17:53:19 MST 1998

At 06:36 PM 2/23/98 EST, you wrote:

><< >We came out of a potentially sticky situation
> >intact, having accomplished a good thing.
>
> And where are we today? >>
>
>Kuwait isn't under Saddam's rule.  Is that NOT a good thing?

Never said it wasn't.

>What would you suggest Bush should have done, even with 20/20 hindsight?

If driving Saddam from Kuwait was the sole directive of the war, then we
accomplished that.  However, it appears as though elimination of his
weapons of mass destruction were also a part of it.  I am not quite sure
where we - or any nation - gets the authority - or the right - to dictate
the weaponry of another nation.  We sure wouldn't tolerate it.  But, that
aside, Saddam's allowable weaponry has been dictated - as a direct function
of the war in Iraq.  We should have let General Norman S. see to it.  I
cannot believe that Saddam's treachery comes as any surprise.

Stephen Frye